My 10-year-old son, Baby E, is home for the summer and back to posting on Mondays [if he hears the calling]. Last week, he talked about having your kids start their Stream of Consciousness List of Things They Want To Do For The Summer. *The rules are that the kids can write down whatever they want to, and the parents can't tell them any idea is dumb or undoable.
Today, we have a snippet of what Baby E's 101 Things To Do For The Summer List looks like.
Feel free to print and use as your own mental springboard to get your kids started. HAVE FUN!
101 Things To Do For The Summer by Baby E
1. Invite a friend over
2. Go outside
3. Ride to the library and get new books
4. Go to the pool
5. Go to the park
6. Make a diorama out of a shoe box and model magic
7. Draw with crayons and black marker outlines like in TinTin
8. Bike ride with some friends
9. Pack a picnic to a new park
10. Go to the bookstore and everyone gets one new book
11. Go on a field trip to a pizza factory
12. Play a board game
13. Borrow or swap a board game with another family and learn a new game
14. Go online and learn new origami to do all together and have an origami store
15. Go online and learn new card tricks for kids and do a magic show for your family at night
16. Go to a baseball game in the afternoon
17. Play hide and seek at night with flashlights. Don't say you found them just sneak up on them
18. Make a fort in the backyard with blankets and the clothesline. Have your mom bring lunch in it
19. Have a sleep over in a tent in the backyard and have your mom bring pancakes to wake you up
20. See a movie in the afternoon even if you saw it already
21. Have a squirt gun fight with little old fashioned squirt guns not big power blasters
22. Have a water balloon fight with over a hundred balloons. Get the camouflage kind.
23. Play school and you are the teacher
24. Do sudoku
25. Make up your own crossword puzzles
26. Do a newspaper and be a reporter
27. Tell scary stories at night with the lights off downstairs and the storyteller gets a flashlight to shine on people
28. Play any sport that you make up
29. Play with your brothers and sisters
30. Have a summer party and everyone brings a bottle of soda and mentos to do outside
31. Have a lego contest with your friends. Call them to come over and make different kinds of things.
32. Have your mom send you on a scavenger hunt with your friends or brothers. (sometimes people are nice, sometimes they aren't.)
33. Make a store and sell your stuff. Buy ice cream with your money.
34. Play library/coffee shop/bookstore and have books to take out and sell pretend soda coffee
35. Play chess/checkers/ and tag
36. Have a karate chop competition
37. Have your mom fill up the backyard with all the sprinklers you have
38. Sell lemonade
39. Write mystery letters and put them in your friend's mailboxes
40. Go to a nature center that has a pond and look at bullfrogs and walk and chase butterflies but take bug spray
41. Go outside and take a huge blanket and lay down and try to make up cloud shapes from the sky
42. Have your friends come over to play with the Slip-n-die (what my mom calls it)
43. Walk downtown and meet your friends there and get an ice cream cone and then walk outside to eat it
44. Do a night time walk with flashlights and catch fireflies to keep in your room overnight
45. Make T shirts with T shirt crayons that say things you want them to say to wear for the summer
46. Play catch
47. Do a tournament that has all your friends in it and do every sport
48. Go to Netflix and watch old shows that are really old that you liked when you were little
49. Have whatever you want for lunch and make it with your mom
50. Go to an aquarium or a zoo or a museum. If it's really rainy out go to Dave & Buster's
51. Make your own comic books. Your mom can do some funny stuff if you let her
52. Make your own stickers out of white sticky labels cut in circles
53. Go buy a pet fish at a fish store. Just stay there for awhile and look at other fish too.
54. Have your mom make cupcakes and then you decorate them. Do the same with cookies.
55. Make a treasure map of the backyard and really hide something where the X is
56. Write a story and read it to your family and make pretend tickets for the show
57. Give lessons to your family in something that you know like dominos. Give domino lessons.
58. Visit a gem shop and ask if they'll let you go to the basement where they keep the really good stuff
**Note from Baby E: these are half of my ideas. I want to see the stuff you guys do, too. Bye!
Digging my parenting style? Catch more of my tricks of the parenting trade at my weekly column found on milwaukeemoms.com